Jeff Erickson's Family
- My beautiful wife Kim Whittlesey is a geometric group theorist. Kim finished her Ph.D. thesis at Berkeley in 1998 under John Stallings. Kim is a lecturer in the UIUC math department.
- Our nine-year-old daughter Kate is an artist, storyteller, and songwriter, who loves gardening, writing, and math. She's sweet and kind and creative, and sometimes infinitely wiser than her parents.
- Five-year-old Hannah is a sunny little engineer who happily walks up to anyone to say hi. She likes to dance and swim and make puzzles. Her favorite TV shows are Steven Universe, Adventure Time, and Teen Titans Go! When she gets older, we'll have to hide the screwdrivers and the soldering iron for a while. Or not.
- My mom Connie Erickson paints and draws portraits for a living. Check out her online portfolio and her blog Mom recently moved from the suburbs of Dallas, Texas to Urbana.
- My dad Jon Erickson is a medical physicist who runs his own consulting company in St. Joseph, Missouri. Dad used to be a professor of radiology, which meant that I grew up with a healthy disrespect for both academic and hospital politics. His master's advisor was a student of Robert Oppenheimer.
Dad used to keep an electric hammer in his office. It looked just like a regular claw hammer, but it had a brass plate with a toggle switch and a red LED on the end of the handle. When anyone asked how it worked, Dad would flip the toggle switch, the LED would light up, and he'd say "There, now it's on." People say this story explains a lot about me.
- My sister Tina Erickson is a photographer, biker, retronaut, and even more of a coffee snob than me. Her husband Don Bernier makes documentaries; you might have seen his Emmy-nominated editing work on PBS. Tina frequently accuses me of breaking things, which would bother me a lot more if it weren't true.
- Coco is a black Lab (mix?) puppy who we adopted in February 2016.
- Nori was a Lab/Shepherd/Husky/Akita/something-or-other mix who died in 2013, after living with Kim and me for almost 12 years, including Kate and Hanna's entire lives. We all miss him!